2/8/13

Sample for New Creation a la Pinterest


For Christmas this year I made some coaster sets as gifts for my family. I was inspired to try the project after seeing the following 'pin': http://pinterest.com/pin/272960427384939073/. That pin, lead me to the original creator's blog here... http://craftycpa.blogspot.com/2011/07/return-on-creativity-paint-sample.html...and the creator linked to her inspiration here!: http://threesisterz.blogspot.com/2011/01/dc-map-coasters.html. Inspiration abounds on the interwebs!

Here's the first set I tried that I gave to Brian:
The coasters come together to show the corner of Oahu we live and play on. I customized the project a couple ways: by leaving a little tile frame showing around the edges of the map squares and by using a super thick epoxy coating instead of the recommended modge podge. The 'bar-top' like epoxy gave the glossy finish I was hoping for.


After semi-success trying the map style, I raided Home Depot and got coaster crazy with paint chips! 
I made these my own by cutting out the squares on an angle instead of straight. 

3 comments:

  1. The map coasters are very cool, but I really love the gradient shift coasters! I'm getting a sort of retro-surf vibe, which seems so fitting for your current environment. Awesome!

    It kind of looks like you decided to have some of the color names showing! Any favorite names? When I was a kid, I used to dream of having the job of naming colors! Come to think of it, I guess I got to fulfill that a little bit by being the glass finish person at my old job...

    -jannell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naming colors was also a dream job of mine. When I worked at Carter's I begged to be the person who named their colors. No luck.
    What did you use for the coaster base? A tile?

    ReplyDelete
  3. jannell- 'Pumpkin Toast' & 'Tangerine Dream' I thought were pretty good :)

    bam- yeah! it was kind of like a travertine tile? idk, it was the right size and on sale :)

    ReplyDelete