3/2/13

New Creation a la Pinterest: Sea Studies in Paint Chips


For the 3.0 challenge, "New Ideas from Pinterest," I scoured Pinterest for all kinds of interesting art projects and crafty things.  I found all sorts of neat ideas.  But, when it came down to it, inspiration hit one day while I was at the gym, watching HGTV.  I saw these beautiful cut-paper jungle scenes being hung in a nursery, and knew I wanted to play around with sea colors and moods of the sea in a sort of shadow-box effect.  I really love the magical shift between 2-d and 3-d, and art that plays with that shift.   For some reason, the act of cutting flat pieces and arranging them to give them depth resonated with me this quarter.

 I purposely did not look at Pinterest for ideas once I settled on my project theme and process, because I just wanted to see what would happen in my own time.  However, I think using paint chips (and inspiration from HGTV) to make a project could not be more Pinterest-y, so I hope my project still qualifies!

So, here we go...  Sea Studies in Paint Chips!


The Process:


 I started with some colored pencil studies to figure out how I might assemble the seascapes.

Then it was a cut party, as I cut each shape out.  

I was annoyed by my choice of paint chip material at this point, because the printed color would chip away as I cut, revealing the white card underneath.  I decided to go with it as a sort of sea-foam thing, but would recommend actually using real colored card for future projects.

Then, I built little boxes to house each scene.


I go back and forth between liking them better housed or unhoused.


Thanks!  Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

-jannell

3 comments: