This first one was taken when I was last home to Phoenix in October for my sister's wedding. One night, Brian and I picked up some In-N-Out (mmmm...animal fries!) and drove down to the Tempe Town Lake for a little picnic at the park. The park is between these two well-illuminated bridges that were perfectly suited for a panorama. So that's the literal reflection.
The life reflections happened all during the two weeks that I was in town helping to prepare for the wedding. Having had my own wedding in the same place (well, at least the reception) just six months prior, I was constantly reminded of events from my wedding. You'd think that would be a good thing, but actually it was kind of hard for me at times. I hate to use the dirty word 'regret,' but there were some moments that I wish I could redo. For instance, I would have had a special dance with my dad, I would have not sang an embarrassing birthday song for my brother, I would have tried to meet more of my dad's new friends, etc. I think society puts the idea in our heads that we have to have this 'perfect' wedding day, but I can't say that mine was. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my wedding, but reflecting on the shortcomings of the experience is something I'm still coming to terms with.
Ok, fast-forward to Christmas Eve...
After attending a church service downtown, Brian and I walked to experience the City Lights decorations. On the way was the State Building which was simply decorated with red and green lights on the columns. I thought this was very nicely done, and the stillness of the water, I feel, really amplified the effect. Here's another angle of the building taken blurry on purpose as more of an abstract shot:
Reflecting on the holiday...This was my first time to be away from my family for Christmas and I didn't like it! Again, don't get me wrong, I had an excellent time with my hubs: We decorated our cottage with lights, had presents all week, ate guava jelly meatballs and Mom's breakfast rolls, but it was weird not being in Phoenix. I guess that's just how it goes with getting married and having to share time between families. Ideally, all of my loved ones would live in the same city all of the time, but since that's not possible (until all of you move to Hawaii! ;) this is another life experience that I'm trying to come to terms with.
Well geez, guys, sorry for the kind of heavy post! I feel like I just wrote a public diary entry or something, which is definitely out of my comfort zone. I guess that's the point of this blog though, to push and grow ourselves, right?! :)
I'm a sucker for fuzzy lights! That's what the world looks like to me when I take off my glasses at night. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's funny that you say that, because I've actually thought many times how it would be interesting to try to do a painting at night with my contacts out to try to capture that soft, fuzzy effect.
ReplyDelete