12/29/12

Reflections: Blackout Poem

Tasha tried a new concept for her poetry submission this time.  After last quarter, Nicole tipped her off to Austin Kleon's work, and subsequently, this was the result!

Tasha says:

I should have changed the title and blacked out all but "between" or "falling."  But, the statistic seemed so striking and is not only sad, but offers a powerful commentary on the center-stage position television holds in American life (and perhaps much of the world).  So I couldn't bring myself to cover it.






I love that, as a reader, you can have some license in the groupings of the words.  After reading in columns, try reading left to right for a little different feel.

Also, so much humor comes in from the title, but if you ignore the title, it's more bittersweet with a heartfelt hope of an ending.  Love that contrast!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel that my computer is "a single grotto, flooded with life" (light?)
    and I wait for it to change me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am such a sucker for these, especially when they are done well as this one is! the illustration in the middle creeps me out a bit, haha.

    ReplyDelete