6/27/13

Breaking the Pattern: Brushing My Teeth

In college I was assigned to read the book, "How to Think Like Leonardo DiVinci," for my Senior product design studio. The part of the book that stuck with me the most was a section on exercising your brain. The book encouraged you to try routine acts differently. For instance, you could take a shower with the lights off or brush your teeth with your left hand. I tried both of these exercises and found the experience to be fascinating

This book was the first thing I thought of after I heard this quarter's theme from Chelsea, so I thought it might be interesting to try to create a visual representation of a routine activity being broken. First, I filmed myself every night for a week brushing my teeth with my right hand (my dominant) before I went to bed. The result is this composite video of three of the brushings. It really was interesting to see that almost every brushing was no more than about 10 seconds different in length than the others. I kind of knew I had a rhythm to my process, but it became so obvious when the clips were pieced together.


In order to break this "pattern," I brushed my teeth with my left hand for a couple nights. The main difference I noticed when brushing with my left hand was that I took longer. I really had to think about getting every tooth, which is just second nature with my right hand now. I recommend the exercise if you've never tried it. It will definitely stretch your brain! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see your favorite (3) stills from this video. I like the way you did the splicing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's really great when the video matches up.
    I think I need to read that book. When I go down the stairs in my building I try it with my eyes closed. It's 13 floors down, 8 steps per floor, so you'd think it'd be pretty routine. Can't seem to do it with my eyes closed. I get to step 6 and it's like, ah! how many more? Am I sure the floor is still there?

    ReplyDelete